Google Calendar Labs is a pre-release feature of the Gmail service that is being tested. While the testing is on, you can still use this add-on to enhance the functionality of tour Gmail. The Google Calendar Labs is quite a useful add-on you might want to enable in your gmail. Once enabled, you can explore the potential of the features in the Google Calendar Labs. The features only work in a computer or mobile browser. They do not work on smartphones or tablets.
Enable the Google Calendar Labs add ons
To enable the Google Calendar Labs, use the following steps:-
- Log on to the Google calendar account using the login credentials.
- Click the gear icon in the top right of the right pane to bring the Settings menu. Go to Labs.
- Scroll to locate the Calendar Labs and select the Enable radio button followed by clicking “Save Changes”. For any labs you want to add select enable.
Now, we take a look at some of the exceptional features of this Google calendar labs.
This Google Calendar labs add-on keeps track of the time around the world. When you click an event, you’ll see the start time in each time zone as well. By default, you get to see four time zones. Mine showed Pacific time, Eastern time, London time and the time zone of my region. However, there is a settings option that enables you to choose any time zone. This feature is especially helpful for businessmen and professionals dealing with multiple clients / businesses across various geos.
Hide morning and night:-
If you are using your Google calendar for business, it may be true that you aren’t actually scheduling events outside of regular business hours. This Calendar Labs feature helps you minimize the time range so this doesn’t show on your calendar. In simple terms, it can hide the inactive window from your calendar.
To configure this feature try these steps:
- Hover the mouse pointer over the grey line in the hour’s column of the calendar. Make sure you are in Week view. You will see a pop-up message saying Drag to hide time range.
- Click and drag to select the time you would like to hide.
- Once you have set with hours to hide, you can click on the greyed out area at the top or bottom of the hour’s column to show the hidden hours.
When you schedule a meeting sometime, you would want to give some information to the attendees beforehand to either get them prepared or just to ensure that they submit certain documents for the meeting. While you can easily attach these files in an email, it is easier to include these files along with the invitation. You can do the following steps to attach files into the event information on the calendar:-
- Create a new event on your calendar by clicking and dragging on the time you want the event to occur.
- Press Edit event on the pop-up window that opens.
- Click Add attachment under the Description box.
- You can select a file from Google Drive or press Upload to select files from your local hard drive. You can also drag and drop the file from your hard drive right into the window.
Free or busy
If your Google contacts have shared their calendars with you, Labs allows you to see who is free or busy at any given moment. When enabled, their calendar will be displayed in the right-hand bar under other calendars. Their status will show up under their name. The Google Calendar Labs has many more add-ons offering creative features. Try them today to see the difference.
Automatically declining events
This addon will help you to avoid the overlapping events in your calendar, once any event is booked, it will show you as busy and decline any new invitations on that time slot.
This lab service will become very helpful and handy in some days, it will add a small tile in the right hand side and show the count down for the next meeting with meeting name, so you will not miss any meeting.
This add on will set a chosen image on your calendar. You can see the option to set the background image in the calendar settings after enabling the this calendar lab.
|Google calendar best tips and tricks for efficient management|
|Find time for your goals automatically with Google calendar|